Backend Engineer - Data Platform
TrueLayer’s Data Platform team is the backbone of our Data API product, which enables our clients to retrieve financial data, with millions of API calls being made on a daily basis.
While our connectivity coverage keeps improving, with more and more countries being supported, we are not sitting still: the next iteration of Data API is in the making.
We will drastically change how our API is used, improving the service for a lot of interesting use cases such as identity verification, credit scoring and rent verification, enabling further product iterations.
As a Backend Engineer at TrueLayer you will be given the opportunity to shape the vision and technical choices for our Data API, both building new greenfield services and iterating on the existing components. You will be a key player in our engineering journey, raising the quality bar for the whole financial ecosystem.
Our technology stack
- Our go-to programming languages for backend services are C# and Python, but we use other technologies when the challenge we are working on calls for it (Golang and Rust);
- Docker containers orchestrated by Kubernetes;
- Monitoring using a combination of the ELK stack and Prometheus/Grafana.
Who we are:
At TrueLayer, we build universal APIs that allow companies to access the financial data of their customers and facilitate direct bank payments, securely, reliably and efficiently.
Headquartered in London, we’re a small team of talented, creative problem-solvers who are working hard to build the most innovative financial technology possible. To date, we’ve raised $47M from investors like Tencent, Temasek, Northzone, Anthemis, and Connect Ventures.
Our long term vision is to power the next era of financial innovation, and our short term mission is to grow the Open Banking economy.
And, we’re just getting started.
As a Backend Engineers, you will:
- Help design, build and maintain TrueLayer’s API products, delivering features that impact thousands of users;
- Identify and make performance improvements in a complex, distributed environment;
- Build observable, well tested microservices, from inception to release;
- Ship rapidly and regularly to production - we don’t wait around - when it’s ready, we ship it;
- Optimise our engineering processes and ultimately, our products;
- Help build a world-class engineering team, while contributing to the company’s culture, making TrueLayer an exceptional place to work.
We’re looking for people who:
- Have 1+ years of experience working in a production environment;
- Have knowledge and proficiency in at least one major programming language;
- Communicate effectively - you can speak in appropriate technical depth, back up your assertions with data, and you love proposing actionable solutions;
- Be curious - you can’t resist looking under the hood to understand how the tools and the algorithms you use actually work;
- Are thoroughly passionate about the products you build, and driven by empathy for the customer - you wouldn’t ship something that you wouldn’t use yourself;
- Would be excited to work in an engineering team that collaborates, shares knowledge and empowers each other to succeed.
Nice to haves:
- Exposure to Kubernetes/cloud-native patterns;
- Exposure to Test Driven Development and Domain Driven Design;
- Experience using one of the languages in our stack;
- Startup experience.
What you can expect from us:
As well as working alongside other friendly, passionate and talented people, you’ll also get:
- Competitive salary (+ bonus) and meaningful equity in the company
- A lovely, spacious, natural light filled office in Clerkenwell 🏢
- 🥗🍝Team lunches on Friday 🍕🍔
- Flexible work and hours - we all work at home, or elsewhere, from time to time ⌛
- Flexible holiday policy ✈️
- Generous parental leave 👩👩👦
- An employer sponsored pension 👴🏾
- Vitality Health Insurance from day 1⚕️
- Learning & development allowance 📚
- Annual retreat 🏖️
- Regular socials 💃🏽
- Choice of hardware 💻
- (and yes we have a ping pong table 🏓)
Be your True(Layer) self at work
At TrueLayer, we choose to talk about Inclusion and Diversity [in that specific order] because we believe Diversity won’t be successful without Inclusion first.
We value our people. We celebrate multiple approaches and points of view. And we feel comfortable voicing a contrary opinion. We build teams, cultivate leaders and create a company that’s the right fit for every person in it.
As we go global, we want our team to reflect the diverse and multicultural world we live in.
We look forward to hearing from you!
Please note - we do not accept applications from recruitment agencies. Thanks!